Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Ava Broke Her Arm

My sweet baby girl Ava broke her arm Thursday night. Erick was out of town and I had just given the girls their bath and we went downstairs to get some clean PJ's. As a treat I decided they could get on our bed and I would change them there. I was sitting about a foot from the edge and had finished with Ava and was working on Cate. As I was putting on her pants, Ava was jumping right next to me and decided she wanted to ride piggy back so she got on my back. I told her to get down and the next thing I knew she had fallen behind me on to the floor. I put Cate on the ground and picked Ava up. She was crying, but not screaming or anything. I looked her over and when I looked at her left arm it was obvious it was broken. My stomach sank and I ran to find my phone. I was so frazzled I couldn't even think. It looked awful!!! I called Erick to let him know and then my friend Kristen who lives really close to us. She came over and helped me take the girls to the hospital (Las Colinas Medical Center). My mom met us there.

Ava did really well. Cate was the one crying and carrying on. Right after it happened I made Ava an ice pack and Cate threw a fit because she wanted one, too. My mom took her home, but she had a really hard time getting to sleep that night. She kept crying for Kiki (Sissy). Ava also kept asking for Date (Cate) but did not get too upset. That's the thing about twins, since they are NEVER apart they freak out when they get split up - at least mine do!

The hospital took x-rays and it looked pretty bad. They did not feel comfortable setting it there, so they had us transported to Children's in Dallas. Ava did great in the ambulance even though I could not sit in the back with her. They were able to set it without sedating her, which was a blessing, and put her in a cast. We go back Monday when she gets to pick a color. I think we are going with TCU purple - ha!!!

She's doing great, but it is crazy to think she broke her arm before she is even 2! I will have to say, nobody is surprised that it happened to Ava. I think she led the daycare in accident reports. She is not really clumsy, just really active.

Cate was a little jealous of the attention and had to have her own bandaid and arm sling. She kept pointing to her arm saying boo-boo.

I'll post pictures when I get them uploaded. I did not have my camera at the hospital, though I wish I did. I was in such a frenzy when we left that it was the last thing on my mind.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Oh boy! Poor Ava. :( And poor you! That must be a hard thing to witness, especially when you're caring for another little one at the same time. Hope she heals quickly.

And don't feel badly that she broke a bone before 2. I broke my collar bone falling down the stairs right after Laura was born so I must've been right around 2. Active kids just get hurt a lot!